Milestone 1 Reached

The first milestone of the Crate Game Engine project was reached today after much work this weekend. You can see the list of milestones here. The first milestone means that the basic framework is now compilable and I will begin working an a C++ proof of concept to show that the framework is usable. The files are available on the sourceforge project at For the benefit of the new readers brought here because of the release anouncement, I am attempting to blog the creation of this game engine, please hang out and read.


I’m making good progress on fleshing out the object model that I designed earlier, it, along with the start of the c++ code is available in the CVS server on sourceforge. The project page has a reference to the CVS location.

Design Completed

I’ve now finished the preliminary design of the Crate Game Engine and have started implementing it. There’s now a project page link over on the left as well. Oh, and a sourceforge page for the project too.


Getting the chance to refresh myself in UML and OOD this week while working with Umbrello. I think I have a pretty good model started. I’m getting close to a design that I can start fleshing out. Main components still missing include a class representing the player and some kind of turn system.


Last night I started designing the object model for the Crate Game Engine using Umbrello. It’s an interesting tool, pretty useful for visualizing the design and getting some base code automatically generated. I don’t anticipate spending too many days on the design before I start hacking away at the code.

Pythons and Monkeys and Luas, oh my!

I’ve been investigating scripting langauges to use in the game engine. I’ve narrowed it to three possibilities:

1 Guy. 6 Months. 1 Game.

Now begins the Winter of Code. By March 15th I plan to have written a commercially viable game.